The IT world is standing on the shoulder of open-source giants. Our whole company was also built on open-source, and one of our core values is firmly believing in it. Thus we're also quite active in open-source communities and if you're looking into working with us you can get a feeling of the code we write from all our public repositories - so don't just take our word for it, check them out for yourself!
Our in-kind contributions to open-source
As developers, we're contributing mainly code, documentation, and learning resources to the open-source ecosystem. Where we're most active is in the community of the .NET Core web content management system Orchard Core and its NET Framework edition, Orchard CMS. How do we contribute to Orchard?
- Of course we write massive amounts of code. We've contributed a lot of code to Orchard Core and many commits to Orchard CMS as well. Apart from our direct contributions we've published well over 100 open-source modules and themes for Orchard. Among these is the Training Demo Module, the go-to beginner's guide for aspiring Orchard developers.
- To help people get going with and be informed about Orchard we run the Orchard learning site Orchard Dojo. This includes free tutorials and other learning resources, and a very popular weekly blog post series on what happens in the Orchard community (it's also available as a newsletter).
- So others can see Orchard in action we publish Orchard videos on our YouTube channel. This includes the recordings of the Orchard community's weekly meetings, Orchard Core demos, video tutorials and more.
- As a gallery of exemplary Orchard websites, we run Show Orchard.
- To serve as the heartbeat of the Orchard blogosphere we've created Orchard Blogs, an aggregated stream of Orchard-related blog posts.
- So people can try Orchard CMS without anything we host Try Orchard! where you can test-drive Orchard on demo sites. This runs on DotNest, our public Orchard SaaS.
- We help steer the project by letting our opinions and feedback known during the weekly meetings and in the issue tracker, and we give a hand to fellow Orchard contributors and users when needed.
Apart from Orchard, we have a lot of small ad-hoc contributions to various other projects. You can find these under the GitHub profiles of our team members.
Our financial contributions to open-source
As an established company we can also contribute money to open-source projects we find valuable. We've just begun this with Git Extensions, a great graphical client for the Git source control system, to which we pledged to contribute every month via Open Collective.
We're looking into expanding this budget in the near future as we select suitable projects! We want to support smaller, less popular but still important projects that are otherwise under the radar of most people.
Open-source and open hearts
Apart from the software world we also try to help in other communities with our philanthropic activities. Most recently, we've delivered reusable masks to the Hungarian Charity Service of the Order of Malta during the coronavirus pandemic.
Would you like to contribute to our projects?
That would be really fantastic! If you've found one of our projects valuable and you'd like to contribute in any way please check out our guidelines and go ahead, we'd be very happy to welcome your efforts! Also, consider contributing, in-kind or otherwise, to the projects supported by us.